Sunday, February 1, 2015

From Suffering to Being Present

I love this interview with Eckart Tolle. He goes into more detail about his personal life than usual.

I am particularly interested in what he has to say about how his path as a teacher evolved. It is not something he chose, but something that chose him. For many years after his awakening, his external life was the same. At some point individuals started coming to him with question. Then that evolved into small group teachings. And then he wrote a book based on what he taught...and then things went on from there.

Anita Moorjani says that one's life purpose will naturally evolve for us when we have learned to love ourselves. This is good to hear. Recently I have stopped trying to be successful at my "life purpose," which gave me a sense of value in this world--but could also fail. Relying on anything that could fail seems, to me at least, an unreliable source of inner value. What I truly value in this life that can't fail is authenticity, self love, healing, and spiritual connection, which are the most important priorities in my life. Those are now my life purpose. And if something else naturally springs forth from that then I will at least know that what I'm doing is in alignment with the greater good.

Finally, at 48:05 Eckhart talks about reaching surrender. He says, "You won't be able to surrender unless you are completely fed up with suffering." This resonates with me and how I felt before getting the shamanic healing done. I was just so done with the depression, and saw how ridiculous my suffering had been. Life wasn't adding up in any emotionally logical way anymore (if that makes sense). I truly was no longer seeing the point of life or living for myself or any living being--the constant suffering of life seemed to outweigh any advantages to living. Perhaps I needed to get to that point to have a deep understanding of the value of living a healed and whole life? (Big question mark there.)


No comments:

Post a Comment