Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Problem with "Disbelieving Thoughts"

I totally get where Byron Katie and Jeff Foster are coming from. Yeah, I agree our thoughts can be little pieces of shit sometimes, causing us to feel bad or even depressed.

Byron Katie tells us to question our thoughts and that it will make us feel better. Jeff Foster tells us to be okay with where we are. I've taken both approaches and have found them to be helpful during certain times in my life. But it was never a lasting improvement. They offer just one approach out of many approaches.  And that is the problem.

If someone is feeling like absolute shit, there is not always a thought that can be attributed to that feeling. If someone is having uncontrollable thoughts of suicide, then being in the now is not going to solve things.

I believe that our psyches are more than just our thoughts. If there has been trauma, like my experience with childhood abuse and neglect, it can be lodged so deeply within our psyches that it will pull us down no matter what we do until it is healed. I believe there there is a connection between our minds and the energy fields of our bodies. How else would that explain how great I felt psychologically after getting energy healings? How else could I have felt more "solid" and fantastic as a person after getting soul retrievals?

I am wondering the extent of help people with PTSD have gotten from teachers like Byron Katie and Jeff Foster. Don't get me wrong, I think they are great teachers and help a lot of people--but only CERTAIN people with certain problems. How many people have been following these "thought" teachers who are still suffering. I wonder the same about followers of Anita Moorjani, someone else I deeply admire who teaches that we only need to learn to love ourselves, that we only need to know our own magnificence.

PTSD and trauma pulls us down to the point that we can't feel that kind of love, peace or inner magnificence. So how are we supposed to know this if we cant feel it? I believe there literally are holes in the psyches of traumatized people. We need to fill in those wholes with soul retrievals. THEN we can learn to disbelieve our thoughts.

P.S. Noah Ekrief says that "When you are able to see thoughts clearly, all of your suffering goes. Only peace remains." I believe it. However, can you imagine how long it would take to get through all the garbage of repressed trauma and PTSD to get to that point of clarity and piece. Shamanism offers a shortcut. Let's give that some credit too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment