Monday, May 11, 2015

Life Purpose: Necessity or Source of Misery?

I decided today to let go of any idea of a "life purpose." As soon as I let this "need" go, I started feeling significant relief from my depression.

Once we decide upon a life purpose, or even declare that we need to have a life purpose, we limit ourselves into something we are "supposed to be" or "supposed to do." This in turn blocks our ability to be free in the moment because our brains are too busy trying to figure out what we "should" be doing next.

Check out this article: Living a Good Life Without a Purpose


Consider changing the imperative pursuit of finding your life purpose to making it more important to discover “what gives meaning to my life today.

Think about indigenous societies, or even third world cultures. Having been to Peru, I've seen how such communities focus more on friends and family than US culture. They live together, work together, eat together, and play together. Yes, these people have their own struggles and challenges as well, but it seems to me that life is so much more simple.

I often feel like I just don't belong in this culture, but maybe it is our success-driven culture that has it wrong.

As an experiment, I will be letting go of any need to succeed or have any purpose for the next six weeks. I'll have two ayahuasca ceremonies at the end of these six weeks, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment